Tuesday 5 June 2012

Erlestoke Twelve


The week leading up to any race I do a weather watch, usually to check for rain incase in I need spare mud wheels, For Erlestoke 12 however I was checking for how hot and windy it might be! Saturday arrived and Dad and I packed the car and headed to the race.

Come 12 o'clock I queued up at the start line, with fellow racer Szabi Bandli, we chatted over previous races but more importantly I kept a cool head. I got off to a reasonable start, careful not to go into the red, holding back on climbs, whilst keeping an eye on my single speed competitor. The course was great, a few parts were riding slow but I knew they'd get quicker, first lap complete, quicker than I thought, bottle swapped with out stopping. I kept like this up for 4 or 5 laps, dad told me I had a 15minute lead, this was good news, I slowed a little, only 4hrs in and a long way to go.


6pm came and the temperature began to cool, I was feeling strong and loving the course, it had emptied out which made it easier to maintain a steady pace, Andrew & Maria and my Mum & sister had come to spectate which was nice and my local club members who had finished racing were also offering encouragement.


Around 10pm we checked the split back to the closest rider and I was well up, I swapped onto my rigid bike for one more lap, I still feel I had more in my legs, apart my knee which had begun troubling me. Rolling in at 10.30pm we checked my time, I had won the single speed title and as I wasn't counted in the open I called it a day, 15 laps in 10hours 30minutes, 1st single speed, unofficially 5th overall.


Big thanks to The Bicycle Academy for their continuing support, Mulebar for keeping me Fuelled, Morvelo for their comfy kit, my Dad for being a pro pit man and everyone for there cheers, another great event from SPAM biking and  loved the Charge Cooker 29er frame and Surface Jacket prizes!


Next race for me is Bontrager 24:12, 12 hour solo, its not for a few weeks so I a chance to rest and rebuild.

Big thanks to Duncan from MBK Photos for the speedy photograph

No comments:

Post a Comment